Special Educational Needs and Admissions Policy
We will provide all students will full access to learning opportunities appropriate to their needs. Each student is unique, requiring individualised learning programmes and support in order to reach their potential. We identify and address each student’s strengths and also which areas to develop, in a positive, supportive and non-discriminatory manner.
We aim to:
- Ensure that all students have access to a broad and balanced curriculum that is delivered through schemes of work which address: Cognition and learning, Communication and interaction, Social & emotional, Physical and sensory and Creative and cultural learning
- Provide a meaningful and stimulating curriculum that reflects the needs of the individual and promotes independence, creativity and fun.
- Assist teachers in in order to produce planning and assessment to meet the needs of all students
- Identify the special educational needs (SEN) of individual students and address how this impact on their learning
- Plan and provide effective learning strategies and interventions for all students
- Liaise with other agencies and professionals who provide a service or who support the student and their family
- Provide an effective recording and monitoring system that clearly identifies progress
- Ensure continuity and consistency throughout the school
- Provide a learning environment that it complementary to the students individual learning styles and their learning priorities
- To liaise with multi agency professionals to enable partnership working
The SEN Governor is Ioannis Athanasiou
The SEN coordinator (SENCO) is Heidi Tully, Head Teacher.
It is the responsibility of the SENCO to coordinate provision for all students at Tuke.
Access to specialist support and facilities
It is an essential part of our philosophy that all of the curriculum and every part of the school building is easily accessible to all. Our specialist facilities include: hydrotherapy suite, art and design areas, music studio and garden, food technology rooms and a physical exploration area with a trampoline and interactive technology. Our corridor walls incorporate a sensory trail as an aid for students to navigate themselves through the school and changing lightening to accommodate students with light sensitivities for a visual impairment.